The Kyalla 117 N2-1 is the first well in the stage 2 drilling programme to target the Kyalla shale liquids rich gas play
Origin Energy and Falcon Oil & Gas have started drilling of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well onshore Beetaloo Sub-Basin, Australia.
Located within exploration permit 117 nearly 32km north of the Beetaloo W-1 well, Kyalla 117 N2-1 is the first well in the stage 2 drilling programme to target the Kyalla shale liquids rich gas play.
Australian integrated energy company Origin Energy, which holds a participating stake of 70% in Beetaloo exploration permits, will operate and drill the well. The remaining 30% is owned by Falcon Oil & Gas Australia.
The main objectives for the drilling of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 well are to penetrate the Kyalla formation to assess hydrocarbon maturity, saturation and reservoir quality. The drilling is also carried to gain additional information on the areal distribution of the Kyalla.
In addition, the well isbeing drilled to obtain data for subsequent horizontal drilling, completion, stimulation and production testing; including ability to flow liquids rich gas.
Falcon CEO Philip O’Quigley said: “The spudding of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well is an exciting development for Falcon and marks the re-commencement of the drilling programme with our JV partner.
“We look forward to updating the market as soon as results become available.”
Under the drilling programme, a vertical pilot hole will target a total vertical depth of nearly 1,750 metres into the Kyalla formation. A subsequent horizontal section is planned for approximately 1,000 metres that will be drilled, completed, stimulated and production tested in the prospective Kyalla shale reservoir interval.
Kyalla 117 N2 horizontal appraisal well EMP approved in August
In August, Falcon Oil & Gas secured environmental management plan (EMP) approval for the planned drilling, stimulation, and well testing prepared by Origin Energy of the Kyalla 117 N2 horizontal appraisal well.
Falcon Oil & Gas is engaged in the exploration and development of unconventional oil and gas assets, with the current portfolio focused in Australia, South Africa and Hungary.