The 16/1-16 well will be drilled about 3km north of the Edvard Grieg field and around 3km east of the 16/1-9 Ivar Aasen oil discovery in the central part of the North Sea, using the Bredford Dolphin drilling rig.

Spudding the well will follow drilling of a wildcat well in the production license.

Wintershall is the operator of the production license 457 which was awarded in 2008.

The company holds 40% ownership interest and the remaining 60% interest in the license is equally owned by E.ON E&P Norway, Bridge Energy Norway, and VNG Norge.

The drilling program can start following the receipt of all the relevant approvals and permits.