The US Bureau of Reclamation has released funding opportunity for Titile XVI water recycling projects under the Water Infrastructure Improvements for the Nation Act (WIIN Act).

The funding will be available for sponsors of water recycling projects which have completed a Title XVI feasibility study, that has been reviewed by the Bureau and found to meet all the requirements under the Reclamation Manual Release WTR 11-01.

Reclamation estimates to provide funding for four to eight projects depending upon the requested funding. It can provide up to 25% of the total cost of planning, design and/ or construction, to be conducted before September 30, 2019. The remaining 75% of the funding is the responsibility of the award recipients.

The WIIN Act, which was brought into force last December will address water resources infrastructure which is critical to the country’s economic growth, health and competitiveness. 

Reclamation offers funding through the Title XVI Water Reclamation and Reuse Program for projects that reclaim and reuse municipal, industrial, domestic or agricultural wastewater and impaired ground or surface waters.

Such reclaimed water is useful for a variety of purposes ranging from environmental restoration, fish and wildlife, groundwater recharge, municipal, domestic, industrial, agricultural, power generation or recreation.

Title XVI has been used to provide funding for communities with new sources of clean water, while promoting water and energy efficiency and environmental stewardship, since 1992.

From 1992 to till date,  approximately $672m in federal funding has been leveraged with non-federal funding to implement more than $3.3 billion in water reuse improvements.