Clean Energy Future has awarded a contract to Siemens to provide turbines and generators for the proposed 940MW natural gas-fired combined cycle power plant (CCPP) in Lordstown, Ohio, US.


Under the $800m contract, Siemens will deliver two SGT6-8000H gas turbines, one SST6-5000 steam turbine, two air-cooled SGen6-1200A generators and one hydrogen-cooled SGen6-2000H steam generator for the power plant.

The Siemens’ H-class technology is designed for fast, flexible operation to support renewable integration.

The scope of the contract also includes two NEM heat recovery steam generators as well as the electrical equipment and the instrumentation control system SPPA-T3000.

Siemens plans to manufacture the gas turbines and steam turbine at its Charlotte Energy Hub facility.

Planned to be commissioned in summer 2018, the facility is designed to generate electricity required to power approximately 800,000 households.

Siemens Power and Gas Division North America sales head John Gibson said: "As we look at the future of power generation in the United States, projects like the Lordstown Energy Center provide an example of how communities can harness cleaner-burning and affordable natural gas to provide efficient and reliable power."

A long-term service agreement has also been signed by Siemens to help ensure the reliability, availability and operational performance of the units. The service includes Siemens advanced remote monitoring and diagnostics.

Siemens will provide 27% equity investment for the project while Macquarie Infrastructure Partners III (MIP III) will provide the remaining 73%.

Macquarie Infrastructure Partners III CEO Chris Leslie said: "LEC is expected to utilize the latest in high efficiency gas turbine power generation technology – technology that is both cost effective and more environmentally friendly than the aging coal-fired capacity that it will replace."

Image: A Siemens-built SGT6-8000H gas turbine. Photo: courtesy of Siemens AG.