The US Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) has awarded a contract of approximately US$84.9M to the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe’s Weeminuche Construction Authority (WCA) of Towaoc, Colorado, for construction of Ridges Basin dam.
The dam will be the biggest feature of the Animas-La Plata project, now under construction in Durango, Colorado. It will store water from the Animas river in Lake Nighthorse for use in the Four Corners area.
Features of the WCA contract include:
• Placement of zoned earthfill dam embankment.
• Manufacturing highly engineered sand and gravel filter and drain materials.
• Dam foundation treatment.
• Concrete lining of the outlet works tunnel.
• Construction of a control house at the outlet end of the tunnel.
• Improvements to Basin Creek downstream of the dam.
Work is set to be completed in 2008.
External weblinksBureau of Reclamation