Indian state-run hydro power producer, Jaypee Power Ventures (JPVL) will commission the 1000MW capacity hydropower project located on the banks of Satluj river in Himachal Pradesh, India by mid August this year.

The INR69bn ($1.5bn) hydroelectric project has the potential to generate 1,200 MW of power.

The plant is equipped with four turbines, 250 MW turbines procured from Austria based Andritz Hydro.

The turbines can generate 306 MW of power, depending upon water availability and demand for power.

The first turbine is already operational since 17 May, the second turbine will be operational by this month and the third and fourth will be operational by July and August respectively.

The project is scheduled to start its operations by November, 2011, reports Times of India.

The company said that 80% of the power generated is to be sold to the states of Punjab, Haryana, UP and Rajasthan while the remaining 20% would be sold on spot charge basis.