Oil and gas firm Hyperdynamics Corporation has signed a 3D acquisition and processing contract worth about $29m with CGGVeritas to cover an area of about 4,000 sq km in its exploration block offshore Guinea.

The new survey is expected to begin next month and the area of the 3D acquisition is just southwest and adjacent to one of the 3D surveys obtained by Hyperdynamics last year.

The survey will use the CGGVeritas BroadSeis broadband solution, and the major objective of the work is to investigate multiple possible deepwater submarine fans seen on a 2D survey acquired for Hyperdynamics in 2009.

Hyperdynamics CEO Ray Leonard said the company considers this next seismic campaign as a critical next phase of its exploration program, which will concentrate on the major new play in the equatorial Atlantic margin.

Hyperdynamics is the operator of the offshore Guinea concession with a 77% interest, while Dana Petroleum holds the remaining 23% stake.