Hill International has announced that its joint venture with System Development & Project Management has received a contract from Kuwait National Petroleum Company to provide consulting services during the construction of a new refinery in the Al-Zour region, and during the upgrade of existing refineries in Mina Al-Ahmadi and Mina Abdullah.

The five-year contract has an estimated value of approximately $20 million to Hill, exclusive of its joint venture partner.

The new refinery, which is expected to cost around $15 billion, will be one of the largest in the world, with a refining capacity of 615,000 barrels of oil per day, Hill said. Construction is expected to begin in 2008 and to be completed by 2013. The upgrade of the existing refineries in connection with the Clean Fuels Program is expected to cost around $7 billion.

Services to be provided by Hill and System Development & Project Management (SDPM) under the contract include on-call consulting services, contract and commercial management, interface management, quality assurance and quality control, and claims avoidance and management services. Hill is a 65% partner in the joint venture, while SDPM holds the remaining 35%.

Raouf Ghali, president of Hill’s international project management group, said: The new refinery project at Al-Zour and the Clean Fuels Program for the existing refineries are large, complex projects whose success is vitally important to the Kuwaiti petroleum industry.