Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (GSPC) is getting ready to place the Tarapur-1 discovery, situated in the Cambay block CB-ON/2 into production soon. Six wells in the Tarapur-1 discovery region are now ready to start production anytime over the next two months. The wells, which include Tarapur-1, Tarapur-P, Tarapur-5 (discovery wells) and TD-1, TD-2, TD-3 (producer wells), have been joined into oil tank storage facilities and production from these wells is expected to start in a while.

The field development plan (FDP) for the Tarapur-1 discovery region was recently granted by the management committee (MC) of the onshore block. The Tarapur-1 is the first well in which hydrocarbons were discovered at CB-ON/2.

GSPC has encountered oil in the exploratory well at the rate of 10 m3 per day between 1,487 and 1,492 meter range. So far, the operator has concluded a total of 26 wells in Cambay onshore. Of these, twenty are exploration wells, three appraisal and three development wells.

GSPC is going to begin production, close to 1,300-1,500 barrels of oil per day (bopd), from three oil wells in the onshore block. Besides oil, GSPC is expected to pump more than 40,000 cubic meters of gas per day from Tarapur.

In recent developments at Tarapur, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) has exercised its option to acquire a participating interest of 30% in the development phase of operations. ONGC is the licensee of the block. GSPC holds 80% stake in the block. GeoGlobal Resources Ltd has the rest 20% stake.