Sustainable energy services company Econcern has announced plans to install 42MW of solar capacity in Puglia, southern Italy, as part of Project Trullo. The project will start with the construction of seven 1MW solar parks early in 2009, with the parks expected to be in operation by 2010.

According to the company, Project Trullo will add 15% to Italy’s 280MW solar power generation capacity currently installed after its completion. Econcern said that it wants to increase its Italian solar assets portfolio to at least 50MW and is currently reviewing other potential projects.

The company will own 51% of shares in the holding company of Project Trullo. The Ampere Equity Fund has acquired the remaining 49%, said Econcern.

The energy company claims to have installed 35MW of solar energy in 2008 and expects to install another 75MW this year in Europe. It said that according to estimation of the International Energy Agency the solar growth by 2020 would be achieved by next year.

Dennis Lange, Econcern’s director of project development, said: “The Italian solar market has good potential and it is anticipated that it will grow from 280MW installed by the end of 2008 to 5,000MW by 2020.”
Econcern consists of operating companies Ecofys, Evelop, Ecostream, Ecoventures and OneCarbon. Together the companies deliver projects, products and services for a sustainable energy supply.