Econcern BV (Econcern) plans to build 43 megawatt (MW) of solar capacity in Puglia, southern Italy. The proposed Project Trullo will begin with the construction of seven 1 MW solar parks in early 2009. The solar parks are expected to be operational by 2010. Once operational, the project will add 15% to Italy's current 280 MW solar power capacity. The company plans to increase its Italian solar assets portfolio to at least 50 MW.

Under Phase I of Project Trullo, the seven 1 MW solar parks will produced a combined total of around 10,000 MW/h of energy per year. Each plant will be situated on three to four hectares. Ground mounted, fixed inclination crystalline solar panels will be used.

Econcern will own 51% of the holding company for Project Trullo. The Ampere Equity Agency owns the remaining 49%.

Econcern director of project development Dennis Lange said, The Italian solar market has exceptional growth potential. It is anticipated that it will grow from 280 MW installed by the end of 2008 to 5,000 MW by 2020. We have ambitions to become a leading player in the Italian solar market.