ACWA Power has inaugurated its new 1GW combined cycle power plant in the Turkish province of Kirikkale which has been built at a cost of $1bn.

The power generated from the Kirikkale Power Plant is expected to cover 3% of the total demand for electricity in Turkey.

ACWA Power, which is a Saudi Arabia-based power projects developer, holds a stake of 90% in the project while South Korea-based Samsung C&T holds the remaining 10% stake.

NOMAC Turkey, a subsidiary of ACWA Power is the operator of the power plant which is fueled by natural gas.

The compny claimes that the power plant marks the first and largest of Saudi energy investments in the Turkish power sector. It is located in municipality of Kiliclar in the Yahsihan District, 15km from Kirikkale City Centre and 50km east of Ankara.

ACWA Power chairman, Mohammad Abunayyan said: “The inauguration of this project is a clear sign of the growth and modernization in Turkey which is making the country set for continued development.

“We applaud the Turkish authorities on delivering a key infrastructure project to drive the economy forward for future generations.”

According to the company, over 2,000 local engineers and workers were recruited during the construction of the power plant which broke ground in late 2014.

Expected to deliver steady and reliable energy to the Turkish national grid, the Kirikkale Power Plant is claimed to be among the most efficient combined cycle power plants in the country. It is anticipated to contribute significantly to Turkey’s economy by subsequent savings in gas consumption.

ACWA Power Turkey managing director Abid Hussain Malik said: “Kirikkale project holds immense value to the Turkish community and its efficiency and design are testament to ACWA Power’s expertise in projects that provide reliable delivery of power and water at the lowest possible cost.

“The team has worked hard to meet the highest quality standards and utilize best practices.”

Image: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan giving a speech during the Kirikkale Power Plant inauguration program. Photo: courtesy of ACWA POWER.