The Anchor oil and gas field is located at a water depth of more than 1,500m in Block 807 of the Green Canyon Protraction Area
Chevron has awarded a contract to Wood Group to deliver engineering design services for its Anchor deepwater development in the US Gulf of Mexico.
The Anchor high-pressure oil and gas field is located at a water depth of more than 1,500m in Block 807 of the Green Canyon Protraction Area, located approximately 225km off the coast of Louisiana.
Being developed in phases, the ultrahigh-pressure project involves an investment of around $5.7bn for its first stage. It has an operating pressure of 20,000 pounds per square inch (psi).
The contract has been awarded under an existing ten-year master services agreement (MSA) with Chevron.
Under the contract, Wood’s scope of work included the preliminary front-end engineering and designs (Pre-FEED) and FEED services.
It will now cover the detailed design of the Anchor field, which will be developed using a semisubmersible floating production unit (semi-FPU).
Wood to deliver fully integrated design for topsides and subsea system
Additionally, Wood will deliver a fully integrated design for the topsides and subsea system, incorporating risers, production flowlines, export pipelines, and flow assurance analysis.
The company plans to lead the project using its engineering teams in Houston, Texas.
The semi-FPU has a production capacity of 75,000 barrels of crude oil per day (bopd) and 28 million cubic feet (mcf) of natural gas a day.
According to estimates, the Anchor field holds total recoverable resources of more than 440 million barrels.
Chevron, through its subsidiary Chevron U.S.A. is the operator of the Anchor oil field with 62.86% stake. Total holds the remaining 37.14% stake through its subsidiary TOTAL E&P USA.
Chevron and Total have taken the final investment decision (FID) on the Anchor field development project in December 2019.