THE ZIMBABWE ELECTRICITY Supply Authority (ZESA) is seeking US$543M to recapitalise the Kariba and Hwange power stations.
The power utility intends to expand both power plants by another two units respectively as part of its expansion programme. Officials said the construction of the units would be undertaken on an engineering, procurement and construction contract basis.
ZESA imports 35% of its electricity from Hydro Cahora Bassa of Mozambique, Snel of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Eskom of South Africa. The remaining 65% of electricity requirements for the country’s needs is generated from the utility’s local power stations.