Total E&P UK has made a new gas and condensate discovery in the west of Shetland on the UK Continental Shelf.

The gas discovery was made in an area close to the Total operated Laggan and Tormore fields, currently under development.

The Edradour exploration well, which lies in block 206/4, 75km northwest of Shetland in a water depth of 300m, reached a depth of more than 3,500m.

The company said that the well encountered gas and condensate in a Cretaceous reservoir with good petrophysical properties.

Full formation evaluation, including an sampling program, has been undertaken.

The studies will be launched to consider the development of these new resources through the Laggan and Tormore facilities once the appraisal phase is completed.

Total has a 75% operating interest in the Edradour license, with Dong E&P UK holding the remaining 25%.

Total and Dong are also partners in the Laggan and Tormore development, which was sanctioned in March 2010 and is scheduled to produce first gas in 2014.