Suncor Energy has signed a joint venture agreement with Teck Resources to develop its 88MW Wintering Hills Wind Power Project near Drumheller, Alberta.

As per the agreement, Suncor will own a 70% interest and operate the project and Teck will own the remaining 30%.

Construction on the project commenced in July and is expected to be complete by the end of 2011.

The planned project, which received the regulatory approval from the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) on 7 June 2010, will consist of 55 General Electric 1.6MW turbines located on privately-owned land approximately 21km south east of Drumheller, Alberta.

The company claims that at peak operation, Wintering Hills is expected to generate enough clean electricity to power approximately 35,000 Alberta homes, displacing the equivalent of approximately 200,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.