The first new well is the Growler-10 oil appraisal well in PRL 15, the sixth appraisal well to be drilled following five consecutive successes in recovering oil from the Jurassic Birkhead Formation at Growler oil field on the Cooper Basin’s western flank.

Growler-1 is expected to reach a total depth of 1,838 metres, while the other two appraisal wells at the Snatcher oil field include PEL 111: Snatcher-4 and Snatcher-5.

The Snatcher oil field has been offline after floods in January 2010 with the joint venture looking to restore production from the oil field in April this year.

Senex holds a 60% interest in PRL 15 and PEL 111 and is operator of the joint ventures, with the remaining 40% interest held by Beach.