Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy, General Directorate of Energy, Deputy Director General Victor Jona said In the future, we will build more of these hydropower plants in the country to expand the electricity available to rural people.

Jona also said that the officials hoped to supply electricity to 70% of the rural population by 2030 and cited plans to build between 20 and 30 plants.

Currently, only 20 percent of rural people have access to electricity, whereas the other 80 percent are accessing battery power, Jona said.

Kong Pisith, director of Mondulkiri’s Department of Industry, Mines and Energy, said that the opening of the two plants last month enabled 1,600 households to access electricity costing 1,600 riel ($0.40) per kilowatt.

Pisith said that the demand for electricity would be significant in the long term and called for investors to finance the construction of more hydropower plants.