US based MDU Resources has closed on the sale of its ownership interests in three electric transmission lines in Brazil.

Two buyers have acquired 84.4% of the company’s ownership interests for approximately $70m, while the third buyer will purchase the remaining 15.6% interests in equal annual installments over a four-year period.

The company’s transmission lines are located primarily in northeastern and southern Brazil.

In 2006, MDU Resources acquired a 13.3% ownership interest in two of the lines, and a 25% ownership in the third line.

MDU Resources is an energy company with electric and natural gas utility distribution operations in North Dakota, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, Washington and Oregon.