Sweden-based independent oil and gas exploration and production company Lundin Petroleum has begun drilling of exploration well 7/4-3 in the production license PL495.

The well will target the Carlsberg prospect, situated nearly 24km north of the Lundin Petroleum operated Brynhild field in the North Sea, offshore Norway, and about 22km east of the UK Everest field.

Lundin will drill the well to a planned total depth of 3,092m below mean seal level to prove the presence of hydrocarbons in Upper Triassic and Upper Cretaceous reservoirs.

The company has estimated the prospect to contain unrisked and gross prospective resources of about 67 million barrels of oil equivalent.

Mærsk Guardian rig is being used to spud the well and is expected to take approximately 65 days.

Lundin Petroleum through its wholly-owned subsidiary Lundin Norway is the operator and has a 60% working interest in PL495, while its partner Tullow Oil owns the remaining 40% working interest.