The company drilled the well to a planned total depth of 11,844ft in a water depth of 2,329ft and found the oil shows while drilling the targeted Upper Cretaceous section.

Hyperdynamics said analysis of the well shows the presence of hydrocarbons in non-commercial concentrations in multiple layers of sandstones distributed throughout a 1,300ft interval of Santonian to Turonian age sediments.

The indicated oil saturation appeared residual, suggesting that larger volumes of oil were present in the reservoirs but subsequently leaked out or that these rocks lay on a hydrocarbon migration pathway.

Hyperdynamics is the operator of the Guinea concession with a 77% interest, with Dana Petroleum holding the remaining 23% stake.