The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has finalised and issued a revised chapter of its Engineering Guidelines for the Evaluation of Hydropower Projects.
The engineering guidelines provide guidance on conducting engineering investigations and analysis at FERC-licensed projects.
Chapter III – Gravity Dams – has been updated to include several advances in the analysis of concrete gravity dams. The significant changes include the following:
- Changed safety factors when strength parameter uncertainty is reduced.
- Additional guidance on uplift pressure.
- Revised procedures for earthquake analysis.
- Methods for dealing with hydrodynamic forces.
- Guidance on computer modeling.
The revised Chapter III, as well as the rest of FERC’s Engineering Guidelines, can be viewed on FERC’s website. Click on the web link below for further information.