Air Products has bagged a contract to provide its cryogenic coil wound heat exchanger technology and the liquefaction process license for Eni’s $8bn Coral South Floating liquefied natural gas (LNG) Project, located offshore Mozambique.

The contract to Air Products was given by TP JGC Coral France which in turn holds the Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation, Commissioning and Start-up (EPCIC) contract.

TP JGC Coral France is a joint venture between TechnipFMC, JGC Corporation and Samsung Heavy Industries.

For Air Products, the contract marks the usage of its LNG technology for the first time in Mozambique. Overall, it becomes the 20th country that will be deploying Air Products' LNG technology.

Air Products executive vice president Dr. Samir J. Serhan said: “We believe our involvement with other FLNG efforts in different parts of the world gives us unparalleled experience in the floating LNG market.”

The FLNG facility to be built in the Indian Ocean will use the dual mixed refrigerant process from Air Products. It will have a liquefaction capacity of 3.4 million tons per annum and is considered to be the first deep-water FLNG project for Africa.

It is planned to be moored and operated on the surface above 6,500ft of water in the Coral Field located with the Area 4 natural gas concession of the Rovuma Basin.

Discovered in May 2012, the Coral field contains about 450 billion cubic meters of gas in place. In October 2016, Eni and its partners in Area 4 had agreed to sell 100% of the LNG produced by the Coral South project to BP for a period of more than twenty years.

Eni holds an operating stake of 70% in Area 4 concession through its subsidiary Eni East Africa (EEA). The remainder stake of 30% is equally owned by Kogas, Galp Energia and Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH).

Image: Eni exploration and production. Photo: courtesy of Eni.