McDermott International provided a marine installation campaign for the Shenzi Subsea Multiphase Pumping Project (SSMPP). In picture, McDermott North Ocean 102 Vessel. (Credit: McDermott International, Ltd/ PRNewswire)
Trendsetter Engineering supplied key components for the expansion of the Shenzi field. (Credit: Trendsetter Engineering)
Shenzi North is located approximately 195km off the coast of Louisiana. (Credit: © Woodside)

Shenzi North oil and gas field is an extension of the existing Shenzi field located in the US Gulf of Mexico.

Australia’s Woodside Energy operates the field with a 72% stake, while Repsol holds the remaining 28% interest.

Shenzi North was discovered by BHP Petroleum in 2017 and a final investment decision (FID) on the project was taken in July 2021.

The BHP Board approved $544m in capital expenditure for the development.

The field became a part of Woodside Energy’s portfolio, following its combination with the petroleum business of BHP Group in June 2022.

Although production from Shenzi North was planned to begin in 2024, the field achieved first production in September 2023. It is expected to produce up to approximately 30 million barrels of oil equivalent (mboe) per day.

Shenzi North Location Details

The Shenzi North is located approximately 195km off the coast of Louisiana in the Green Canyon protraction area, Gulf of Mexico. It lies in lease blocks GC608 and GC609 in the Gulf of Mexico.

The existing Shenzi field, which began production in March 2009, covers lease blocks GC609, GC610, GC652, GC653 and GC654. Water depth in this region is around 1,310m. The field produces using standalone tension leg platform (TLP).

Shenzi North Development

The Shenzi North development involves using existing infrastructure to boost production from Shenzi.

The development includes two wells- SN101 and SN102, that are tied back to the Shenzi TLP.

Deepwater Invictus drillship drilled the second well in July 2022 and it was completed in the first quarter of 2023. Drilling of SN101, on the other hand, was completed by mid-2023.

The subsea infrastructure of the project includes subsea manifolds, a high-integrity pressure protection systems (HIPPS) module and multiple subsea connection and jumper systems.

HIPPS module enables the operator to utilise the existing flowlines, risers and topside facilities to connect the development to the Shenzi TLP.

The development of Shenzi North represents the first development phase of Greater Wildling.

Shenzi TLP Key Details

The Shenzi TLP was installed in 1,333m water depth in July 2008. The TLP has 20 subsea production and water injection wells tied back to the facility.

The platform is capable of processing 100,000 barrels of oil and 50 million cubic feet of gas per day.

A subsea multi-phase pump was installed at the Shenzi TLP in April-May 2022 to enhance the recovery from existing producing wells and future infill wells.

The oil and natural gas produced from the field is transported via pipelines for sale to Gulf Coast customers.

Contractors Involved

In July 2006, MODEC signed contracts with BHP for the TLP facility for the Shenzi Field development.

In June 2021, McDermott International was selected by BHP to undertake a marine installation campaign for the Shenzi Subsea Multiphase Pumping Project (SSMPP).

McDermott’s scope of work included project management, detailed design and fabrication for a pump station suction pile, umbilical installation and flexible jumpers and flying leads installation, transport of all materials and equipment, pre-commissioning services and other necessary testing and surveys.

In November 2021, Trendsetter Engineering signed a framework agreement with BHP to provide subsea manifolds, High Integrity Pressure Protection Systems (HIPPS), multiple Subsea Connection and Jumper Systems and Trendsetter’s TCS connector technology.  The agreement will also enable placing orders for future expansions of the Shenzi project.

In April 2023, Dril-Quip completed the installation of two 15,000 pounds per square inch (psi) HorizontalBore Subsea Trees at the Shenzi North oil and gas field in collaboration with Proserv.

The HorizontalBore Subsea Tree is a modular designed subsea production system that enables multiple completion configuration possibilities. According to the company, the system allows the flexibility of running and pulling the upper completion without disturbing the tree-to-wellhead connection or the flowline connection to the tree.