Woodside Energy has awarded a subsea contract to Technip for the development of the $1.9bn Greater Enfield project offshore Western Australia.

Under the contract, Technip will be responsible for providing project management, design, engineering, procurement, installation and pre-commissioning (EPIC) of carbon steel production flowline, carbon steel water injection flowline, flexible risers and flowlines for project/.

The scope of the contract also includes installation of 38.9km of umbilicals both dynamic and static; subsea structures and valves; as well as multi-phase pump system.

Work under the contract will be carried out by Technip from its operating center in Perth, Australia, with support from its Asia Pacific Subsea Hub in the Kuala Lumpur office in Malaysia, and office in Chennai, India.

While leveraging its subsea integrated approach from fabrication to installation, Technip will manufacture the flexible pipes at its plant in Tanjung Langsat, Johor, Malaysia and the umbilicals will be supplied by Technip Umbilicals’ facility located in Newcastle, UK.

Several vessels from Technip’s fleet will be used to undertake offshore installation work, which is scheduled to be completed in 2018.

The contract follows a final investment decision made by Woodside Energy, along with its joint venture partner Mitsui E&P, in June to move ahead with the development of the Greater Enfield project, located in water depth comprised between 340m and 850m.

The project includes development of the Laverda Canyon, Norton over Laverda, and Cimatti (WA-28-L) oil accumulations in Australia.

According to estimates, the project will produce gross (100%) 2P reserves of 69 Million barrels of oil equivalent (MMboe) from the three oil accumulations.

Woodside Energy is the operator of the Greater Enfield project with a 60% interest, while Mitsui owns the remaining 40% stake.

Image: Illustration of the proposed Greater Enfield development offshore Western Australia. Photo: courtesy of Woodside/ MITSUI & CO., LTD.