Stillwater Mining subsidiary Stillwater Canada has submitted an environmental impact statement (EIS) for its Marathon Platinum Group Metals-Copper project in Ontario, Canada to the Joint Federal and Provincial Review Panel.

The Marathon deposit is located about 10km north of the town of Marathon near the north shore of Lake Superior.

Stillwater Mining Company holds 75% of the Marathon Project and the remaining 25% is owned by Mitsubishi Corp.

Stillwater Mining Company chairman and CEO Frank McAllister said submission of the EIS for the Marathon Project is an important early milestone in the development of the copper resource.

"The Joint Federal-Provincial Review Panel will now coordinate consultations among the various communities and governmental interests affected by the Marathon Project in a process designed to balance the concerns of all the parties involved," said McAllister.

The Marathon mine is expected to produce average annual production potential of about 200,000 ounces of palladium and platinum and 37 million pounds of copper.