Lundin Petroleum subsidiary Lundin Norway has begun drilling exploration well 16/1-24 in PL338C, southwest of the Edvard Grieg field offshore Norway.

The well will focus on assessing the hydrocarbon potential of the Gemini prospect.

The 16/1-24 well aims to validate the reservoir properties and hydrocarbon potential of Lower Paleocene aged sandstones of the Ty Formation.

The Gemini prospect is estimated to have the potential to comprise unrisked, gross prospective resources of 93 million barrels of oil equivalent (MMboe).

Scheduled to be drilled to a total depth of approximately 2,192m below mean sea level, the well will be drilled using the semi-submersible drilling rig Island Innovator.

The drilling operation is expected to take approximately 40 days.

Lundin Petroleum operates PL338C with 80% stake while OMV Norge holds the remaining 20% working interest.

Swedish independent oil and gas exploration and production company Lundin Petroleum has assets primarily in Europe and South East Asia.