Jazan Gas Projects Company (JGPC) has commenced the construction of the $2.1bn industrial gas complex in Saudi Arabia.

Acwa and US-based Air Products formed a joint venture, Jazan Gas Projects Company, following receiving contract from Saudi Aramco in 2015 to build, own and operate the gas plant.

Jazan Area Projects general manager Fuad Al-Azman said: "This is the largest third party project Saudi Aramco has awarded to the private sector, and as such, demonstrates its faith in the joint capabilities of ACWA holding and Air Products to develop giant infrastructure projects of strategic importance in the Kingdom."

Claimed to be the world's biggest of its kind, the gas complex is designed to supply 75,000t of industrial gas per day, 20,000 oxygen and 55,000 nitrogen, for 20 years to Saudi Aramco's refinery, which is currently under construction in Jazan.

The refinery is expected to have 400,000 barrel per day capacity to processcrude oils and produce gasoline, ultra low sulfur diesel and aromatics.

Acwa board chairman and JGPC board chairman Mohammad Abunayyan said: "Construction on-site started a month earlier than planned, initial drawings have been issued and we have a clear plan of mobilization to Jazan from this date."

Comprising six air separation trains, the gas complex will need 600MW to operate and uses Air Products-built technology to produce oxygen and nitrogen.

Air Products will have a 25% stake in the complex, while ACWA will hold the remaining 75%.

Abunayyan added: "Together, we will continue to drive strong performance across the company and look forward to the commissioning of the most advanced industrial gas facility in 2018 in tandem with the refinery."

Image: Contraction work has started on the industrial gas complex in Saudi Arabia. Photo: courtesy of PRNewsFoto/Jazan Gas Projects Company.