Located in Jacobina, Bahia, 350km from Salvador, the €30m Torres Eolicas do Nordeste plant will manufacture up to 200 wind turbine steel towers annually.

The facility, which will employ 250 people and create 600 indirect jobs once it starts full operations, occupies a 22,000m² built-up area on a 140,000m² plot, next to the main existing and possible wind projects of the region.

Alstom owns 49% stake in the JV project and the remaining 51% interest is owned by Andrade Gutierrez.

Alstom Wind business senior vice president Yves Rannou said: "Brazil should enter very soon the ranking of the largest wind power producers in the world.

"So it is particularly gratifying for Alstom to open this new plant in Brazil and contribute to this growth."

Alstom said Jacobina is its third wind factory in Latin America, with the first one being opened in 2011 in Bahia to manufacture nacelles and the second one was inaugurated in 2013 in Rio Grande do Sul to produce towers for Brazil’s southern market and neighboring countries such as Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.

More than 3,000 wind turbines have already been deployed by the company in over 200 global wind farms, which generate 5.8GW of energy.