The Vietnam-Laos Electricity Development and Investment Joint-stock company of Vietnam has announced plans to build a 465 MW hydro plant in Laos's southern province of Attapu following the signing of a memorandum of understanding.

According to the MoU, the Secaman hydro plant unit 1 will be built as a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) contract. The joint stock company will contribute 70% of the estimated cost of $535 million and the Laos government will contribute the remaining 30%.

Construction is due to begin in the second quarter of 2007 and completion is anticipated in 2010.