Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) has announced plans to invest some VND 3.1T (US$193.5M) into building 37 small hydro plants in its northern provinces that border China.

Between 10 and 13 stations will be built by 2010 in Lai Chau, Lao Cai, Ha Giang and Lang Son provinces, each with a maximum capacity of 5MW.

EVN is also proposing to develop a 500kV transformer station costing VND 991B (US$61.8M) in the northern Son La province that will link the country’s largest hydro power plant to the national grid.

Vietnam aims to supply electricity to 100% percent of rural households by 2010, with 70% to be connected to the national grid and the remaining 30% to have access to small-scale hydroelectricity and other power sources.

Related Articles
Spotlight on… Vietnam