The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS, previously the Department of Energy and Climate Change) laid an amendment in Parliament to the Renewable Heat Incentive on 7 July 2016 to reduce the support for Biomass Combined Heat & Power (CHP) systems.

The changes in support are specifically targeted at Biomass CHP plants that use less than 20% of their fuel for electricity production (with the other 80% being used for renewable heat).3 This change will affect all plants applying on or after 1st August 2016, giving industry only 21 days’ notice. Neither DECC or the new BEIS had formally consulted with relevant trade associations or directly with industry on this specific change prior to laying the new amendment in Parliament, surprising many in the industry and putting a number of projects at risk.

The REA surveyed thirty-six companies that are developing biomass CHP projects in the UK. Thirty-four of those companies had already made major equipment orders for the construction of their facilities or put down non-refundable deposits. Twenty-five companies have reported that the changes laid before parliament will have a “very negative” impact on their project, and additional eight reporting “negative” impact.

REA discussions with member companies involved in the Biomass CHP industry (unrelated to the survey) indicate many companies are facing up to a 35% reduction in their anticipated tariff.

James Court, Head of Policy and External Affairs at the REA, said:

“Despite the amendment claiming ‘no impact on the private or voluntary sectors is foreseen’, the abrupt cut in support significantly impacts the biomass CHP industry. It is the suddenness and the lack of consultation that is the core issue here. Over £140m worth of investment is affected by this change, with a planned renewable energy capacity totalling 203MW heat and 20MW power.

The industry was preparing for a new tariff structure from spring 2017, as outlined in the recent RHI consultation, but no one was warned about this change. The industry has invested in good faith in these projects, some which have been in preparation and construction for up to 2 years. Over £22m has been paid in non-refundable deposits.

This unexpected cut will prove damaging to investor confidence. Of the companies surveyed, 92% stated that the changes will a negative or very negative impact on their projects. This significantly reduces the likelihood that many companies and investors will be keen to invest in this low-carbon technology in the future.

We are therefore calling on BEIS to withdraw the amendment until a proper consultation has been launched to examine the impact on these projects, or introduce a grace period for those who can demonstrate that they have already made a significant financial commitment.”