Built with an investment of $3bn, the power complex is claimed to be the largest foreign direct investment-driven thermal energy project on a single site in the country.

The complex houses two supercritical coal-fired power plants, each with a 1,320MW of power generation capacity.

The first power plant, Thermal Powertech Corporation India (TPCIL), started full commercial operation in September 2015 while the second power plant, NCC Power Projects, is planned to reach fill operational capacity in 2016.

Sembcorp group president and CEO Tang Kin Fei said: "We believe this is a significant step in helping to meet the increasing power needs in India.

"With our strong track record in both the thermal and renewable energy sectors, Sembcorp will continue supporting India in meeting its energy requirements, and in reaching its industrialization and urbanization goals."

The power complex features supercritical technology for enhanced efficiency and reduced emissions when compared to other conventional coal-fired power plants while meeting increasing power demand in the southern part of the country.

Sembcorp Gayatri Power Complex CEO Atul Nargund said: "The launch of the Sembcorp Gayatri Power Complex is a significant milestone for Sembcorp in India.

"We are confident that our power complex will help to address the power demand in India and support the country’s economic development."

With the launch of the complex, Sembcorp has over 3,500MW of thermal and renewable assets portfolio in operation and under development in the country.

Sembcorp through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Sembcorp Utilities owns a 67.4% stake in the TPCIL while remaining 32.6% stake is owned by Gayatri Energy Ventures, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Gayatri Projects.

The NCC Power Projects is 49% owned by Sembcorp while the remaining stake is held by NCC Infrastructure Holdings, a joint company of NCC and Gayatri Energy Ventures.

Image: The power complex is expected have reduced CO2 emissions when compared to other conventional coal-fired power plants. Photo: courtesy of dan/