A joint venture of Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) company TNB Energy Services Sdn. Bhd (TNBES)  and Metrosphere Sdn. Bhd Is to develop and build a 4MW mini hydropower station in Sungai Tersat, Kuala Berang, Terengganu.

TNBES will hold 49% in the JV company, Syarikat Metrosphere Hydro Tersat Sdn. Bhd., while Metrosphere will hold the remaining 51 percent.

Expected to be completed by the end 2019, the small hydropower station will  be operated under a 21-year Feed in Tariff (FiT) scheme at RM0.25kWh. It is expected to generate 25GWh of electricity per annum for an expected revenue of RM5 million per year.

The JV company plans to seek further potential sites for small hydropower development in Malaysia, subject to obtaining a favourable FiT scheme.