Shri Priyaranjan Dasmunsi, India’s Minister for Water Resources, has called for commitment from Indian states for more effective and efficient planning of the country's scarce water resources.
The Minister was addressing the participants of the two-day National Workshop on Challenges of Water Development and Management in India and Future Strategies today. Among the priority areas identified during the workshop were:
• Dam safety and rehabilitation.
• Command area development and participatory irrigation management.
• Flood management and erosion control.
• Protection from coastal erosion.
• Revival and restoration of existing water bodies.
• Ground water recharge.
Delegates attending the workshop included Shri VK Duggal, Secretary for the Ministry of Water Resources; Dr Kirit Parikh, member of the Planning Commission; Shri Michael Carter, India Chief of the World Bank and representatives from various state governments.