The gas field, which was discovered in 2009, is located about 133km north east of Den Helder in the Dutch sector of the North Sea.

The company said the gas will be transported through the offshore pipeline system of Noordgastransport, operated by GDF Suez E&P Nederland to the onshore gas treatment facilities in Uithuizen.

GDF Suez E&P Nederland holds a 60% interest in the G16a licence, with EBN holding the remaining 40% stake.