The Goliat oil field, which commenced production in 2016, has been developed through a floating cylindrical production and storage vessel (FPSO).

The FPSO is designed to store nearly a million barrels of oil which will then be transferred to shore through tankers at a later stage.

In October, the company was ordered to close production at the Goliat field on in October 2017 following an audit conducted by PSA that revealed serious breaches of the regulations in regard to the Goliat FPSO.

Following the audit, the PSA decided to carry out verification related to the order prior to resuming production from the Goliat field.

Recently, Eni and partner Statoil outlined their plan to Norway’s PSA to bring the field back on stream.

PSA said: “On the basis of the information received from Eni and Statoil, together with its own verification and overall assessments, the PSA now regards the order as complied with. This means that the PSA has no objections to production resuming on Goliat.”

Estimated to hold about 180 million barrels of oil, the field has production capacity of 100,000 barrels of oil per day.

Eni operates the production license 229 with 65% stake, while Statoil owns the remaining 35%.

The firm has completed 17 production wells of the planned 22 wells, which include 12 oil producers, seven water injectors and three gas injectors.

Image: The Goliat FPSO vessel at sea. Photo: courtesy of Eni Norge.