Italy-based electricity company Enel has been short listed, along with five other firms, to take part in a joint venture to build an E7 billion nuclear power plant in Bulgaria, according to Thomson Financial.

The plant which will be equipped with two water-pressurized reactors with a capacity of 1,000MW each, will cost E4 billion to build, while related infrastructure work will amount to E3 billion.

The companies short listed include Electricite de France, Suez’s Electrabel, E.ON AG, RWE AG and CEZ.

The participants have to present offers to buy a 49% stake in the Belene Power Company by September 24, 2007. The remaining 51% will be owned by Bulgarian electric utility Natsionalna Elektricheska Kompania EAD (NEK).