Hai Lang liquified natural gas (LNG) power centre is an integrated LNG import and gas-fired  power project being developed in the Quang Tri province of Vietnam.

Phase one of the LNG to power project comprises a 1.5 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) LNG import terminal and a 1.5GW combined-cycle gas-fired power plant. The power generation capacity is planned to be increased to 4.5GW in phase two.

Vietnam’s T&T Group, in a consortium with three South Korean companies including Hanwha, Korea Southern Power (KOSPO), and Korea Gas Corporation (KOGAS), is developing the Hai Lang LNG power phase one facility with an estimated investment of £1.68bn ($2.3bn).

T&T Group will invest 40% of the capital required to develop the project, while the remaining 60% will come from the three South Korean companies, each contributing 20% of the investment capital.

The phase one construction works officially started with a ground-breaking ceremony held in January 2022. The Hai Lang LNG power plant is expected to start commercial operations in 2026-27.

At full capacity, the Hai Lang LNG phase one power plant is expected to supply up to 8.25 billion kilo-watt hours (kWh) of electricity a year to the Vietnamese power grid.

Location and site details

The Hai Lang LNG power project is located in Hai An and Hai Ba communes of the Hai Lang district, Quang Tri province, Vietnam.

The integrated LNG import and power generation complex will occupy about 258.3ha, including 148ha of land and 110ha of water areas within the Southeast Quang Tri economic zone, along the coast of central Vietnam.

The phase one LNG import and power infrastructure will occupy 120ha of the energy complex.

Hai Lang LNG phase one power plant make-up

The Hai Lang LNG power plant phase one will utilise high-efficiency gas and steam turbines in a combined-cycle configuration to deliver a total power output of 1.5GW. The plant will use regasified LNG as fuel, which will be sourced from the nearby LNG import terminal.

The plant’s key equipment including turbines, generators and transformers will be manufactured and supplied by the Korean companies.

Hai Lang LNG import phase one terminal details

The Hai Lang LNG power project includes the construction of an LNG terminal that can handle LNG vessels carrying up to 226,000 cubic metres (m3) of gas. It will take delivery of about 1.5 million tonnes (Mt) of LNG a year.

Hai Lang LNG power project background

In 2019, the Korean consortium entered an agreement to explore gas-to-power business opportunities in Vietnam.

Vietnam targets to expand its LNG power portfolio to 4.1GW by 2025 and 59GW by 2045.

The 1.5GW phase one Hai Lang LNG power plant is being developed as part of the country’s  Revised Power Master Plan VII covering a vision through 2030, which was approved by the Vietnamese government in February 2021.

The People’s Committee of the Quang Tri Province approved the first phase of the LNG to power project involving foreign investors in October 2021.

An additional 3GW gas-fired capacity will be installed at the Hai Lang LNG power centre in phase two, which will be implemented as part of Vietnam’s Power Master Plan VIII for 2021-2030 with a vision to 2045.