The Anyala West platform came on stream in October 2020. Image courtesy of Aquaterra Energy.
The Anyala-Madu field development involves two unmanned conductor supported platforms tied back to the FPSO Abigail-Joseph. Image courtesy of Yinson.
Aveon Offshore fabricated the topside production deck module, subsea support structures and drilling deck module for the Anyala West conductor supported platform. Image courtesy of Aveon Offshore.

Anyala and Madu are two shallow-water oil and gas fields located off the coast of Nigeria. The co-located fields are being developed through the combined Anyala-Madu project that commenced production with the Anyala West field brought on-stream in October 2020.

The Anyala-Madu offshore development project is operated by Nigeria-based First Exploration and Petroleum Development Company (First E&P) that holds a 40% stake, while the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) holds the remaining 60% interest in the project.

The Anyala and Madu field development project involves two conductor-supported platforms (CSPs) tied back to a floating production, storage, and offloading vessel (FPSO).

The Anyala and Madu fields are located in OML 83 and OML 85 blocks in the Niger Delta, off the coast of Bayelsa State in southern Nigeria. The water depth in the project area ranges from 35m to 55m.

The Madu field is located 20km northwest of Anyala and the oil and gas resources in both the fields are present in multiple-stacked reservoirs.

First E&P acquired a 40% stake in the OML 83 and the OML 85 blocks from Chevron Nigeria in February 2015.

Anyala and Madu field development plan

The Anyala and Madu project comprises two unmanned conductor-supported platforms (CSPs), one each in the Anyala West field and the Madu field.

Both the platforms are to be tied back to a floating production, storage, and offloading vessel (FPSO) through subsea flowlines, umbilicals, and risers.

In phase one, the Anyala-Madu field development project comprises seven development wells in the Anyala West field with a target to produce up to 142 million barrels of oil and 98 billion cubic feet of gas.

FPSO Abigail-Joseph

The oil processing capacity of the FPSO Abigail-Joseph is 60,000 barrels a day while the oil storage capacity is 700,000 barrels. The gas handling capacity of the FPSO is 39 million cubic feet per day (mcfd) while the produced water treatment capacity is 20,000 barrels a day.

The various processes performed in the 274m-long FPSO include oil separation, stabilisation, produced water treatment, gas treatment, and compression.

The Abigail-Joseph FPSO was formerly known as FPSO Allan which was in operations for approximately a decade at the Olowi field in Gabon until January 2019.

The FPSO had undergone conversion and life extension at the Keppel Shipyard in Singapore before its deployment in Nigeria.

Contracts awarded

Borr Drilling was awarded the drilling contract for the project. Borr Drilling’s jack-up rig Natt has been deployed on a two-year drilling campaign in the field since April 2019.

Yinson was awarded contracts worth approximately £678.6m ($901.793m) for the charter, operations, and maintenance of the FPSO for the Anyala and Madu field development project in February 2019.

The firm period of the contracts is for seven years followed by one two-year and six yearly extension options exercisable by First E&P.

Aquaterra Energy in consortium with Maerlin Nigeria was awarded a contract to design, engineer, and install two non-identical Sea Swift conductor supported offshore platforms for the project in November 2018.

The scope of the contract included the structural design, topsides engineering, equipment selection, procurement, fabrication management, as well as logistics.

Aveon Offshore, an engineering firm based in Nigeria, fabricated the 350t-topside production deck module, subsea support structures, and drilling deck module for the Anyala West conductor supported platform.