The 3,551 MW Salem/Hope Creek station is situated along the Delaware River in Salem around 40 miles (65 km) south of Philadelphia.

The station has three reactors, 1174 MW Salem 1, which entered service in 1977, 1,130 MW Salem 2 (1981) and the 1,209 MW Hope Creek (1986), along with the 38 MW Salem 3 oil-fired turbine.

Salem 1 and 2 at the station continued to operate at full power.

One MW powers around 800 homes in New Jersey.

PSEG said that it planned to spend $50 million between 2007 and 2011 to explore the potential construction of a new reactor at Hope Creek.

PSEG reported NRC that it planned to file for a 20-year extension of the original 40-year operating licenses for Hope Creek and both Salem units in September 2009.

PSEG operates the station and owns all of Hope Creek and around 57% of Salem. Exelon Corporation owns the remaining 43% of Salem.