The area covered under Chuandongbei area is nearly 2,000 square kilometers and has an estimated resource base of five trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

“The National Development and Reform Commission approved the first stage of the project development plans, which include the relocation and completion of three natural gas purification trains and the completion of a sulfur plant,” Chevron said.

Chevron operates the Chuandongbei project with 49% stake and CNPC holds remaining 51% stake.