The fire, which occurred on April 10, 2009, damaged instrument technical rooms that house the panels for process control, well control, uninterruptible power and emergency shutdown systems. No one was injured in the fire, which was extinguished by shipyard firefighting personnel. Many of the control systems must be replaced because of heat and water damage.

A revised plan for completing the conversion and starting production will be developed after Prosafe Production and Keppel determine the extent of the damage and a timetable for acquiring replacement equipment. Acquisition and installation of the new equipment is expected to take several months.

The Van Gogh field is situated 33 miles (53 kilometers) north-northwest of Exmouth. The moored FPSO will be linked to two subsea drill centers with 10 production wells, two water injection wells, and one gas injection well. The Ningaloo Vision will have processing capacity of 63,000 barrels of oil per day and storage capacity of 620,000 barrels of oil. Apache expects the project to increase net production by 20,000 barrels per day.

Apache owns 52.5% of the field and INPEX Corporation has remaining 47.5%.