RCC 2004 will be held from 13-18 September in Georgia, US. IWP&DC takes a look at what attendees can expect from this international seminar and study tour
THE RCC 2004 international seminar and study tour, taking place on 13-18 September in Atlanta, Georgia, US, will present state of the art technology on the design, construction, quality control and performance of roller-compacted concrete (RCC) for new dams, as well as the rehabilitation of existing dams, through education in the classroom and laboratory; in addition to visits to completed projects and a major RCC dam under construction. It is sponsored by Schnabel Engineering in conjunction with the Association of State Dam Safety Officials (ASDSO).
The first four and a half days are a comprehensive, structured course on the design, construction and quality control for RCC dams. The symposium will feature presentations by experts and contractors from the US, Australia and Germany. Two completed RCC projects will be toured during the seminar. The next one and a half days will include a tour of the completed Big Haynes dam in Georgia and the Saluda RCC berm requiring more than 1Mm3 of RCC under construction.
All accommodation arrangements will be made by the seminar organisers at the Embassy Suites, Perimeter in Atlanta for five nights starting Sunday 12 September 2004 and for the night of Friday 17 September at the Comfort Suites, Columbia, South Carolina, unless other arrangements are requested. The cost of lodging in Atlanta (US$104/night plus 12% tax) and meals not noted are the responsibility of each participant. Breakfast is included in the lodging cost at both Atlanta, GA and Columbia, SC.
Three previous seminars/study tours have attracted attendees from 21 countries including Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Egypt, Germany, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey as well as the US.
In order of presentation, the speakers who will be presenting at the seminar are:
• Kenneth D Hansen, P.E., Principal, Schnabel Engineering, Inc., Englewood, CO
• Douglas D Boyer, P.E., P.G., Engineering Geology Group Manager, US Bureau of Reclamation, Denver, CO
• Donald A Bruce, Ph.D., C.Eng., President, Geosystems, L.P., Venetia, PA
• David B Campbell, P.E., Director of Dam Engineering, Schnabel Engineering Inc., West Chester, PA.
• Brian A. Forbes, C.P.Eng., Manager, Dams Engineering, GHD pty Ltd., Brisbane, Australia
• Francisco Ortega S., Consulting Engineer, FOSCE, Bad Oldesloe, Germany
• Timothy P. Dolen, P.E., Research Civil Engineer, US Bureau of Reclamation, Denver, CO
• Daniel L. Johnson, P.E., V.P., Director, Hydropower and Dams, MWH Americas, Inc., Broomfield, CO
• Randall P. Bass, P.E., Senior Associate, Schnabel Engineering Inc., Alpharetta, GA
• Jeffrey C. Allen, P.E., President, ASI RCC, Inc., Buena Vista, CO
• Daniel J. Hertel, P.E., Vice President, Barnard Construction Co., Inc., Bozeman, MT
• Thomas L. Webber, Project Manager, Phillips & Jordan, Inc., Knoxville, TN
• John F. Bowen, P.E., Vice President, ASI RCC, Inc., Buena Vista, CO
• Charles M. Kahler, P.E., Project Engineer, Schnabel Engineering Inc., Alpharetta, GA
Cost & registration
The seminar and study tour, if registering before 4 August 2004, will cost US$1895; after 4 August 2004, the cost is US$1995. If you are interested in attending the seminar only, the cost before 4 August is US$1695; after 4 August it will cost US$1795.
The seminar is limited to 40 confirmed registrants. Registration is not complete until the fee is received. For the second and all other registrants from the same firm or agency, subtract US$100/attendee.
Cheques should be in US$ and made payable to Schnabel Engineering, Inc. Bank transfers may be made directly to Schnabel Engineering, Inc. (RCC 2004). Account No: 5233209823 BB&T (wire routing number 051404260). IRS No. 52-1644902.
To register for the seminar, please print out the registration form at www.waterpowermagazine.com. Once completed, forms and payment should be sent to: Ken Hansen, Schnabel Engineering, 6970 S. Holly Circle, Ste. 206, Englewood, CO 80112-1066, US. Tel: +1 720 482 9103. Fax: +1 720 529 5335. Email: email@example.com.
Alternatively, fill in the form online and we will send it directly to the